Waterside Academy School Uniform List
Uniform is an important part of our school. We believe it promotes a sense of identity and establishes good working habits. All students are required to present themselves to our school wearing the correct uniform. The Headteacher reserves the right to send any student home to correct their uniform or appearance where necessary.
The school uniform supplier is:
Trutex Hackney (Crossbow)
31 Broadway Market
Hackney E8 4PH
Tel: 020 7923 9313
Uniform items must be plain, without accessories, logos, decoration or any other colours. Below is a list of acceptable uniform:
- Blazer: Waterside Academy grey blazer with school badge (specialised item)
- Shirt: Plain white shirt with collar - we recommend long-sleeved during winter and short-sleeved for summer. Any clothing items e.g. a t-shirt worn underneath the shirt must be plain white.
- Tie: Waterside Academy tie, worn to the waist (specialised item)
- Jumper (optional): Navy V-Neck with logo (specialised item)
- Trousers: Plain navy, tailored, regular fit (no denim, coloured pocket zips or chino-style trousers)
- Skirt: Plain navy, knee-length
- Socks: Plain black, ankle length (no knee-high socks)
- Tights: Plain black (no leggings permitted)
- Shoes: Plain black leather school shoes, providing adequate protection and support (no casuals, fabric, canvas, trainers, sandals, pumps, ‘work’ type shoes e.g. Doctor Martens, high heels, boots, coloured laces, coloured stitching or patent leather)
- Coat: Plain black, to be removed in class (no leather, suede, denim, hoody, sweatshirt, sports top, body warmer, gillet)
- Bag: Either Waterside Academy branded or plain black rucksack/ backpack. No handbag-style bags permitted.
- Hijab, abaya, prayer cap,turban, patka: Plain matt black
Jewellery, Decoration and Other Items
- A single necklace or bracelet for religious reasons
- Hats: Plain black woollen hat, only to be worn outside the buildings during cold weather (no bobbles, visors)
- Hair Fasteners: Plain black. No large headwear items, unless for religious reasons
- Earrings: Small plain studs (under 5mm in diameter), matching pair or single
- Belts: Plain black, plain buckle (no oversized buckles)
- Make-up: To be modest and discreet (no lipstick, false eyelashes, acrylic nails)
- No body jewellery (including facial piercings), hair dyes, coloured hair extensions, tattoos, visible undergarments
PE Kit: Required Items
- Shirt: Blue Waterside Academy polo shirt with logo
- Shorts: Plain navy football shorts available from uniform shop
- Socks: Plain white socks
- Trainers: Plain black or plain white (no embellishments)
- Swim Suit: One piece, in a dark colour
- *Any item not on the list will be at the discretion of the Headteacher
PE Kit: Optional Items
- Tracksuit: Navy tracksuit bottoms and matching top available from the uniform shop
- What should I do if there is a problem with my child’s academic or PE uniform?
Give your child a signed and dated note to show on the gate before 8:30am. Your child will be given a uniform pass and may be issued temporary uniform items. All problems should be rectified within 24 hours.
- What will happen if my child is in the wrong uniform?
Your child will be issued with a detention. Non-uniform items will be confiscated and only be returned to parents/carers (not students) at a pre-approved appointment between 3-5 pm the following Thursday. Non-uniform items may be replaced with temporary uniform items, as required. Students might be sent home to collect the correct uniform item. Alternatively, parents/ carers will be required to bring the item to school.
- Can my child wear make-up or have unnatural coloured hair?
Any make-up worn must be modest and discreet. Students will be required to remove any non-discreet make-up before entering the classroom. Lash extensions, acrylic nails and unnatural hair colours are not allowed. Students may be required to work from the Behaviour Improvement Room until this is rectified.
- Can my child wear religious dress?
Yes, the following items may be worn: hijab, abaya, prayer cap, turban, patka. All should be plain matt black.
- How can I help my child not to lose any items of their uniform?
You should write your child’s name clearly in black permanent pen on every item of their uniform, including their PE kit. Lost items will be taken to reception and kept for 2 weeks. Unnamed items will be given to charity.
- Can my child wear jewellery?
The wearing of jewellery is limited to the following items:
A single necklace or bracelet for religious reasons only: this should be tucked underneath their shirt or jumper and not immediately visible.
Earrings: Small plain studs, matching pair or single.
Nose studs/ rings are not permitted and cannot be worn under a plaster. Additionally, clear plastic nose studs are not permitted.